Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Just A Little About Me

Well beginning with the basics, my name is Kathleen, but my friends call me Kat. I like to consider myself an adventurous and spontaneous person, but my shyness often gets in the way. I am technically a junior here at Western but because I am a transfer student I'm still working on the credits. I am originally from Harbor Beach Michigan, which is a tiny town in the thumb of Michigan. I graduated from Harbor Beach High School in 2006 and originally started my college career at Saginaw Valley State University. But since then I have changed my major from Social Work to Secondary Education English major, but I am still undecided on my minor.
My goal is to teach middle school, preferably 8th grade but high school would be fine too. I am also aiming at teaching on an Indian reservation, perhaps the Navajo Reservation in Arizona.
I have my EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) certification but currently I am not working for an ambulance company. However I am working at the Boys and Girls Club of Kalamazoo, which takes up a lot of my free time. I also work for the WMU's Athletic Department, which means I set up for the home varsity sport games.
I chose to take this class primarily it is among the required courses for English majors, but I am doing a missions trip this summer to Africa so a little background and extra information never hurts. I live on campus in Valley 3, even though I am a Junior, but it isn't as bad as it seems. My suite mates this semester are freshmen so it ought to be an interesting time.
( I'm the blonde one in the picture!)

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

Wow, that mission trip means this class will be perfect for you -- I also hope it connects to your teaching. Welcome aboard!